Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Botanical Gardens

Hey Everyone!

Heres a little post Merry Christmas with tree made up of many different kinds of plants. We saw this the other day when we went to the Botanical Gardens. So let me tell you a little bit about it!

This trip was very much outside our box. First of all it was about a 1 hour bus ride south of where we live, so that in itself isnt something we usually do. Also it is in an area that we have never been to (Manurewa), and when you get off the bus its about a 25 minute walk to the gardens... AND it was raining... HARD! But we had a blast! We went into the day saying, we are gonna get wet... we are gonna get wet and we are gonna have fun! So we just expected it and we had a great time! Now, onto the pictures!!


See I told you it was raining! We got to the gardens and by this time we are already pretty wet. So we sat in the cafe for a little bit and had a nice warm mocha.

Even though it was raining I tried to use this trip to get some creativity out and I tried to take some cool pictures of the flowers... did I succeed? Ill leave that up to you to decide, either way I had fun!


Then we went into the edible garden which was so cool, they had such beautiful plants and vegetables!


Carla really liked this one below! It was so bright blue! The camera even had a bit of a hard time capturing the color. Now Carla and I dont know much about plants, but this reminded us of an artichoke... is that what they look like while they grow?


Another thing we had a really fun time with was the bird life! We found these cool birds just walking around. I think they may be flightless, but really I dont know much about birds either haha. But they were pretty awesome. They were a dark blue and black with these really vibrantly bright red heads. And they were fairly large. I kept trying to get closer and closer to get a good picture, but they started to run away. So I started to run after them. They didnt like that. They were surprisingly fast!

Ok now I know this bird is kind of hard to see in this picture below, but it is beautiful! Its a small bird with bright red on its head and then it has blue and green and yellow and purple... it was so colorful! After a little research we found out that this is a rosella parakeet. And one of the coolest things is this is the second one we have seen. We actually saw one right across the street from our apartment! Its so cool living in a country where these are the wild birds you see when you go to the park. We would only expect to see something this beautiful in a zoo or in an display or something... but here in NZ you get them right outside your door.

It was such a beautiful place and so great to be outside, even in the rain.
I told you it was raining! Haha see how wet I am!

And my beautiful wife looking like a cute little pilgrim haha! See her cute little hood on, and her soaking wet umbrella... she even took her shoes off because they were soaking! My shoes squished with water with every step I took.


There were places in this garden where it was a forrest trail and the trees would get so dense that we could almost feel the rain stop... Almost! It did rain solidly the whole time :) Anyway we could go into this forrest and feel so far away from anyone, it was so cool! We would see such beautiful greenery and these amazing creeks with little waterfalls. It was quite a breathtaking day.




Thats all I've got for now, but a little trip to Devonport coming soon!
Thanks everyone!
Love,
Matty and Carla

1 comment:

  1. Hi Matt & Carla, I really enjoy reading of your adventures and seeing the beautiful pictures of you & New Zealand. Plus, I am totally jealous of the nice warm weather you guys have. LOL! We love you guys and hope you keep having many adventures while you are there.

    P.S. I will always chuckle now when I see a Popsicle! Love you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete